Overview on Facility Management
Facility Management is a course that deals with the management of services like housekeeping, security, maintenance, general administration, transportation etc. candidates learn to increase efficiency of business and reduce the cost of business.
- Candidates with good people.
- Candidates should have proper organisational skills.
- They should be having a brilliant written communication skill.
- Should be well versed.
- Management skills
- Skill to develop working relationship with wide range of people.
- Ability to manage varied and complex workload.
- They should have technical knowledge of building services.
- Skills to solve problems and take the right decision.
- Management skills.
- Skills to manage clients and customers.
- Skills and ability to control large budgets.
- They should have a good knowledge about health, safety and environmental legislation within the built environment.
- Leadership quality is also an important skill that a candidate must develop.
These are some of the skills required in a candidate who wants to choose this field as a career and if they lack in some of the skills, they must try to develop it in them.
Work of a Facility Manager depends on the type of company in which he has been recruited. They are basically in charge of providing management services and processes that support the core business of the organisation. The duty may vary from one organisation to another. But the basic focus of a Facility Manager is to improve the efficiency by reducing the operation cost while increasing the productivity. They have to negotiate at all levels from cleaner to company director. A facility manager can work either in private or public sector.
Some of the typical tasks performed by a Facility Manager are:
- Prepare documents regarding tenders for contractors.
- Investigation of availability and suitability of new premises.
- Minimizing the cost and increasing the output.
- Planning strategies for future development of business objectives.
- Proper utilization of space and resources.
- Ensuring staff safety.
- Directing, planning and coordinating essential services such as security, maintenance, cleaning, catering etc.
- Responding appropriately to emergencies or urgent issues as they arise and dealing with the consequences.
- Managing security.
These are some of the works done by a Facility Manager.
Graduate and under graduate courses are available. A 1 year diploma course available in full time, part time and correspondence. Aspiring candidates can enroll into various forms released by various colleges providing Facility Management courses. A great opportunity for fresh graduates with a six month course and part time for Facility Manager covering all issues regarding Facility Management. Master courses are also available online.
In Facility Management candidates get to learn about engineering systems, contracts, telecommunication system, energy management etc. These are the basic subjects covered during the facility management course.
Some other subjects are:
- Design and construction
- Operation, etc.
Master’s degree program deals with:
- Energy management
- Facilities Maintenance and operations
- Project Management.
- Kohinoor School of Facility Management, Mumbai.
- International Facility Management Institute, Bangalore.
It is a rapidly growing industry with an ocean of opportunity. With increasing infrastructure the demand is also increasing day by day. Work is available with a wide range of organisations. Skilled and experienced candidates have great opportunity in this field. Specialist contractors or large scale companies those provide a full range of design, build, finance and management services hire candidates from Facility Management. There is a great scope for Facility Management abroad as well.
Average salary of a Facility Manager is around 5,00,000 per annum. For beginners it may vary from 1500 to 1800 per month. As the candidate gains more experience and knowledge the salary packages also keeps going better.
These are some of the examples of job vacancies available in India. Aspirants can consider to above vacancies for reference to Facility Management.
Students and candidates who are sufficiently skilled, confident and have leadership, qualities in them can choose Facility Management as their career.